CRT component display amazing quality. + tip

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
redsteakraw

CRT component display amazing quality. + tip

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I recently got a Flat screen CRT TV with component input and it looks amazing on the MiSTer. It is so crisp I can see the dithering patterns and is now the screen of choice beating out my 49 inch LG TV. The only issue I found was that the switch on the side of the IO board doesn't actually switch between RGB and Ypbpr, you have to set it in the ini settings script first. If you don't the picture will have a pink hue to it. That being said you also don't need to get a custom cable I have a dsub - component adapter and just use monster RCA cables to my TV. What is your setup with component video or with a CRT tv?
Fear is the mind killer!
shertz

Re: CRT component display amazing quality. + tip

Unread post by shertz »

Mine is on a Mitsubishi 33" RGB CRT at 480p. Looks amazing!!
Sharpfork

Unread post by Sharpfork »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 am What is your setup with component video or with a CRT tv?
Thanks for sharing. I’m super stoked about mister and analog displays. I have 3 crt setups.
I have a kvm setup to shift my first mister between a 25” Tate flat glass crt and 27” horizontal. I go mister -> HDMI vga converter -> retrotek VGACTV2 -> component into tv. I still keep a groovyarcade box in each cab for the family friendly front ends and cave shmups.
I have a mister with an older I/O board hooked up to a 15khz arcade monitor in a Galaga via jPac and jamma to Galaga converter. I made a vga to jamma finger board and that was fine but I like the amplification and other features the jPac offers.

Currently troubleshooting: getting Galaga cab to boot to Galaga core.

I really love how easy it is to get this thing outputting a native analog resolution.
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

redsteakraw wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 am The only issue I found was that the switch on the side of the IO board doesn't actually switch between RGB and Ypbpr, you have to set it in the ini settings script first.
Just an FYI,
The IO board switch is for Sync on Green, it controls whether the sync signals are mixed into the green color channel, doesn't really have anything to do with RGB vs YPbPr
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

It does have a little to do with it--you have to have SOG enabled to use YPbPr. In fact, I suspect that the majority of people using the SOG switch are using YPbPr.