TI-994a How-To

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

TI-994a How-To

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Is there a good how-to for the TI-994a core. I am confused on the process for loading bios, which one to use, and then what is the right disk image and the sequence.
Cebion

Re: TI-994a How-To

Unread post by Cebion »

tmop

Unread post by tmop »

On the TI99 IUC page there is the review of the TI99 core, updated to the last version with Speech support with a Step-by-Step guide.
It's in italian, however at the end of the article there is a .zip archive with a ready to use, complete, set of BIOS and SSS modules (games, education, utils, etc.). All the files are tested and working with the TI99 core. Inside the .zip there are instructions in English. :)

The direct link to the review is: http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pag ... strp25uKUk

If there are enough requests we can translate the article in English.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Molte Grazie!
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

The TI99 core is a great core, however I think there is no harddisk support, so Tunnels of Doom is out of the game (which is one of the best TI games btw). Or am I mistaken here?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

werpu wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:18 pm The TI99 core is a great core, however I think there is no harddisk support, so Tunnels of Doom is out of the game (which is one of the best TI games btw). Or am I mistaken here?
Yes, it's correct. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no disk or tape support in the core. :-( You cannot run Tunnels of Doom, Adventure, etc. since it's not possible to load the data files on tape/disk. I hope that disk support will added in future.

There is a workaround to run TI BASIC programs (only TI BASIC, not Extended BASIC). You can convert to SSS modules and load and run in such way. There is an article on the TI99 IUC site:
http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/?pageid=artic ... tYHAG5uKUk
It's in Italian, but it's quite easy to understand using screenshoots. At the end of the article there is a pack of some classic games, already converted.

You can also use the Turbo feature of the core to speed up some games. :-)
tlaloc

Unread post by tlaloc »

tmop wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:06 am
werpu wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:18 pm The TI99 core is a great core, however I think there is no harddisk support, so Tunnels of Doom is out of the game (which is one of the best TI games btw). Or am I mistaken here?
Yes, it's correct. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no disk or tape support in the core. :-( You cannot run Tunnels of Doom, Adventure, etc. since it's not possible to load the data files on tape/disk. I hope that disk support will added in future.

There is a workaround to run TI BASIC programs (only TI BASIC, not Extended BASIC). You can convert to SSS modules and load and run in such way. There is an article on the TI99 IUC site:
http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/?pageid=artic ... tYHAG5uKUk
It's in Italian, but it's quite easy to understand using screenshoots. At the end of the article there is a pack of some classic games, already converted.

You can also use the Turbo feature of the core to speed up some games. :-)
I also hope that disk support will be added in the [near] future.
Used to own a TI-994a in the 80's myself, and it taught me the basics [no pun intended] of programming.

Sure would like to be able to utilize the recent HDL 5220 speech chip to run the speech code I have on [virtual] TIdisks, but I was only able to do it on emulators like Classic99, Win994a and finally MESS v0.167 (MESS was the hardest to figure out how to get to work, btw).

I know you mentioned we can only run TI BASIC, but not Extended BASIC programs.
Is it possible to get speech data from a disk into something like an SSS module to allow for the 'EDITOR / ASSEMBLER' cart to run the speech data that used to be accessible via disk, but w/out needing to have disk emulation written in the TI-994a MiSTer FPGA core?

===RESOURCES===
Classic99a & Win994a links:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/15520 ... nt-1917205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN4fYDrQXkc

MESS of notes:
https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/MAME_TI_emulation_usage
MESS v0.167 shortcut parameters to open one disk for the EDITOR/ASSEMBLER (very long-winded):
C:\EMU\COMP\MESS\mess.exe ti99_4a -cart editor_assembler.rpk -peb:slot2 32kmem -peb:slot3 speech -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 sprdef.dsk

Note for MESS 0.167/MAME:
You can use the same ' *.TIDisk ' disk image files (created in Asm994a Assembler program) that are supposed to be used in Win994a for MESS v0.167 as well by simply renaming the file extension from ' *.TIDisk ' to ' *.dsk '
Attachments
MESS.rar
(698.99 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Good that there are some people interested in the TI99/4A core, so this maybe could help to have further improvements of the core... :D

Regarding the question, I quickly checked the zip file. The speech_example_ces.txt is just an assembly source code that can be compiled with E/A into an EA5 file, that then can be easily converted into a SSS module using the ModuleCreator 2 or the MakeCart programs running on Windows.

Please, note that in the disk there is a EA3 version of the demo, that is requiring additional work to be converted in SSS, so, since there is the source code, it's better/faster to compile it directly into EA5 format. Using the utility in the video you should be able to convert additional .wav files into data that can be added in the data section of the source code.

You could also try to compile and generate directly a SSS module only using Windows xdt99 tools: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/15370 ... resources/
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

This is absolutely fantastic - thank you!
tlaloc

Unread post by tlaloc »

tmop wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 am Good that there are some people interested in the TI99/4A core, so this maybe could help to have further improvements of the core... :D

Regarding the question, I quickly checked the zip file. The speech_example_ces.txt is just an assembly source code that can be compiled with E/A into an EA5 file, that then can be easily converted into a SSS module using the ModuleCreator 2 or the MakeCart programs running on Windows.

Please, note that in the disk there is a EA3 version of the demo, that is requiring additional work to be converted in SSS, so, since there is the source code, it's better/faster to compile it directly into EA5 format. Using the utility in the video you should be able to convert additional .wav files into data that can be added in the data section of the source code.

You could also try to compile and generate directly a SSS module only using Windows xdt99 tools: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/15370 ... resources/
If I had to guess, I'd say that the following link is where I should start if I want to assemble source code into EA5 format>SSS modules, correct?:
https://endlos99.github.io/xdt99/#xas99

I've fiddled with python before, so I feel confident I can get the development environment setup... but..

Would you be willing to show me just how I could go about compiling and directly generating an SSS module using only Windows xdt99 tools?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

tlaloc wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 pm
tmop wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:16 am Good that there are some people interested in the TI99/4A core, so this maybe could help to have further improvements of the core... :D

If I had to guess, I'd say that the following link is where I should start if I want to assemble source code into EA5 format>SSS modules, correct?:
https://endlos99.github.io/xdt99/#xas99

I've fiddled with python before, so I feel confident I can get the development environment setup... but..

Would you be willing to show me just how I could go about compiling and directly generating an SSS module using only Windows xdt99 tools?

First you need to install and configure a Python version. I suggest to use the one indicated in the docs, so 3.6 or later.

To build a binary file the command is:

xbas99.py -b <source file>

To generate EA5 program images:

xas99.py -i [-R] <source file>

It's better to try first with the "Hello Word" example.
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hello,

I must have missed this in August...
The TI99/4a was my first computer back in the 80s. Although I got rid of it quite quickly, because of lack of software and very expensive peripherals, it was the computer that I learnt to program on.
I just downloaded your mega pack and it is really great. :)
I would love to see some more development on this core, especially the addition of tape and disk support. Unfortunately I can't help with this because I know nothing about FPGA programming.
Thanks again for your efforts!
D.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

While waiting for an upgrade of this core with the disk support (this is already available for the MiST version...), here is the updated MegaPack of compiled game in cart format:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31125 ... nt=4724965

Have fun!
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Thanks a lot...
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Guess this core really is abandoned... not even an answer about the request regarding the disk support on the github account.
Lets see if it goes somewhere in the near future.

:cry:
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Since this core is still missing the Disk support update (available in Mist from various months...), let's at least play some BASIC/XBASIC games! Now compiled and in SSS format.

The MegaPack V3.0 (with 300+ games) is available on AtariAge TI99 Forum:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31125 ... nt-4828420
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for the new pack.
Now, about this stupid "[GAME] " prefix which is not very convenient to alphabetize the games:
If you are a Windows user use PowerShell to run this batch file from the Classic99 directory

for %%i in ("*.bin") do (set fname=%%i) & call :rename
goto :eof
:rename
::Cuts off 1st 7 chars
ren "%fname%" "%fname:~7%"
goto :eof

if you called the batch file MyRen.bat you have to run it using ./MyRen.bat
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Or, if you're a Windows user, you can use Ant Renamer.

https://antp.be/software/renamer

A tool that should be in all rom collector's collection. Install it, run it, add folders - then the Classic99 folder with the bin files in, then goto actions, string replacement, then under "search for" add the following
[GAME]
make sure there is a space after the ] symbol, and leave "Replace by" blank, and hit the green GO button.

Then do the same for the following, but no space after _8
[Compiled by TMOP]_8

You'll end up with name, date, company .bin files.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for the tip. This is a lot simpler than PowerShell which I never use and it took me a while searching the internet to find something which worked.
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

On Windows i use Bulk rename for help me to rename a lot of files in a easier way
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It's a pity more people who use Windows aren't familiar with Total Commander...
d909

Unread post by d909 »

Someone released a new game for the TI-994a just a few months ago, and as far as I can tell its easily the most sophisticated game to ever release for the hardware. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1539 ... red_Crown/

Of course, the MiSTer core lacks features necessary to make it run.
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

akeley wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:18 pm It's a pity more people who use Windows aren't familiar with Total Commander...
I know it since a lot of years ago' but i don't like it :D
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Sorry to butt in unannounced, but I came across a comment or two about the Ti994/a core not having the drive support that the Mist core does. So I figured what better way to learn some fpga development and get familiarized (somewhat) with Quartus then to try to add the floppy feature to the Ti994/a core.
Now I never owned the system, nor do I have a Mist to compare with but I think I got a core working with two floppy drives.
If anybody is interested in trying out, especially those who know how it's suppose to work, let me know and I can post the .rbf.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I played a lot of Tunnels of Doom back in the day and well, the cart doesn't do a whole lot by itself without some disks! Count me in for testing!

Other games I remember the disk drive noisly loading for were whatever version of TI Runner I had, and Space Station Theta. Think there was also some proto-roguelike Old Dark Caves?
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 pm Sorry to butt in unannounced, but I came across a comment or two about the Ti994/a core not having the drive support that the Mist core does. So I figured what better way to learn some fpga development and get familiarized (somewhat) with Quartus then to try to add the floppy feature to the Ti994/a core.
Now I never owned the system, nor do I have a Mist to compare with but I think I got a core working with two floppy drives.
If anybody is interested in trying out, especially those who know how it's suppose to work, let me know and I can post the .rbf.
Great! Thanks very much. It'a a great new! :D I can surely help to do the tests on floppy drive support. I had a complete system with PEB in '80 and now a TI wih NanoPEB to compare if needed. Moreover, I have compiled the modules list for games/utils that runs on MiSTer, but require a disk drive to be 100% functional.

Just let me know where to download the core.

Again, many thanks for your work!
Flandango
Core Developer

Here is the rbf file. You will need to include the Disk DSR in your system rom.
I used Disk.Bin with MD5 Checksum: 3169cfe66687d5b9ed45a69da5a12817.
Attachments
Ti994a_20210526.zip
Ti994a test core with dsk image floppy support.
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 377 times
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I'm deeply familiar with pretty much all things floppy on the TI - and the big thing is the controller. Which one did you implement? Happy to do some in-depth testing as well.
Flandango
Core Developer

I brought over the WD1772 that is used on the Mist core but had to modify it to work with the DSR floppy image format that I was able to find.
It should support single and double sided images (single density), 40 tracks per side with 9 sectors per track.
tmop

Unread post by tmop »

Flandango wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:49 am Here is the rbf file. You will need to include the Disk DSR in your system rom.
I used Disk.Bin with MD5 Checksum: 3169cfe66687d5b9ed45a69da5a12817.
Many thanks. I'll do some tests in the next days and let you know.