PPP Network with miamiDX

QuillOmega0

PPP Network with miamiDX

Unread post by QuillOmega0 »

Been trying to get a PPP connection working

I can ping from the Amiga to the PPP connection of 192.168.1.254 (Amiga) and 192.168.1.128 (Mister) but anything past that wont' route and can't ping my Gateway of 192.168.1.1

Any suggestions?
aixz

Re: PPP Network with miamiDX

Unread post by aixz »

Hi, interrested too
I tried to configure, unsuccessfully
Maybe if someone has a very basic HDF with just WB + working network configuration to share ?
abbub

Unread post by abbub »

This guy seems to have some pointers / links specific to setting it up with miami: http://donovancolbert.blogspot.com/2019 ... r.html?m=1

I have it up and running with Roadshow, which took about all of 5 minutes.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Normally I use RoadShow on Minimig core (because I own a license) but I wanted to try this "vlink" driver for ShapeShifter that requires MiamiDX for the IP Masq/NAT functionality.

Anyway, MiamiDX worked for me first shot and was very simple to config using the MUI GUI. No editing config files, scripts, etc...

I was using a registered version which I know removes some limitations. I remember buying MiamiDX from Holger Kruse directly in person at an Amiga Show :)
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

What would be the most efficient / lightest IP stack (in terms of CPU usage & -hopefully no- chip ram usage) ?

Hmm, I bought MiamiDX something like two decades ago... I clearly do not have the key anymore :)

I don't expect much but if I could at least use the WHDLoad auto-update feature, an IRC client (not sure they are UTF8 compatible ones ?!) and some online features in a couple of games... Would be cool !
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

I have mine setup with miamidx, very simple configuration and ~10000 cps (B/s). Miamidx became free some years ago and you can download an universal key from aminet.
bbond007
Top Contributor

mahen wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:38 am What would be the most efficient / lightest IP stack (in terms of CPU usage & -hopefully no- chip ram usage) ?
I'd guess RoadShow as it runs on 68000.

I think AmiTCP and Miami both require at least a 68020 unless I am mistaken.

MiamiDX has a MUI (Magic User Interface) GUI which was criticized by some Amiga users for being heavy...
abbub

Unread post by abbub »

I have Roadshow and Easynet, which came with the network card I have in my A2000. Roadshow definitely feels snappier.
bbond007
Top Contributor

abbub wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:09 pm I have Roadshow and Easynet, which came with the network card I have in my A2000. Roadshow definitely feels snappier.
I'm sure it is if you are using a network card...

Using serial PPP I doubt there is any performance advantage between any of the TCP/IP stacks.

I could be wrong though :)
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

All the TCP stacks run on 68000. Olsen spent a lot of time on the PPP part of Roadshow, it is certainly a lot more reliable than what I recall from AmiTCP and even Miami, and when it comes to slow PPP links over serial, reliability and stability is more important than speed.

Btw - MinimiDx does not _have_ to use MUI, there are also official frontends using ClassAct/Reaction or just GadTool/GTLayout, and you can also run it without any GUI frontend at all. http://aminet.net/search?query=Miami3

MiamiDx is most certainly overkill for a MiSTer setup, its primary "deluxe" feature is multiple interfaces with routing/bridging/NAT-ing support, so unless you plan to use MiSTer with AmigaOS as a "router" for ... I don't know... perhaps virtual Mac in Shapeshifter? :)
bbond007
Top Contributor

kolla wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 am All the TCP stacks run on 68000. Olsen spent a lot of time on the PPP part of Roadshow, it is certainly a lot more reliable than what I recall from AmiTCP and even Miami, and when it comes to slow PPP links over serial, reliability and stability is more important than speed.
I don't use AmiTCP anymore (last time I used it was on a A2000 in the 90's with 040 and Hydra Ethernet - not PPP), so I can't comment about its reliability or performance on MiSTer, but I do use both RoadShow and MiamiDX and I have never had an issue with reliability or stability with either one.

While regular Miami may run on 68000. I do believe MiamiDX requires a 68020...

Pinging my MiSTer is around 30.5 MS with MiamiDX and around 28.0 MS on RoadShow.
Pinging my router is around 31.5 MS with MiamiDX and around 29.5 MS on RoadShow.
kolla wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 am Btw - MinimiDx does not _have_ to use MUI, there are also official frontends using ClassAct/Reaction or just GadTool/GTLayout, and you can also run it without any GUI frontend at all. http://aminet.net/search?query=Miami3
Did not know :) I thought the alternate GUIs were for regular Miami (not DX).

Might be good for my Minimig 1.1 if I wanted to run MiamiDX for some reason. I currently run RoadShow on that device.

Still, MUI runs fast on MiSTer Minimig and "fast" RAM is virtually unlimited as far as Amigas go.

The MiamiDX GUI is absolutely fantastic and I still think it has the most intuitive and powerful UI of any other TCP/IP stack I have ever used on any platform (including current operating systems)...
kolla wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 am MiamiDx is most certainly overkill for a MiSTer setup, its primary "deluxe" feature is multiple interfaces with routing/bridging/NAT-ing support, so unless you plan to use MiSTer with AmigaOS as a "router" for ... I don't know... perhaps virtual Mac in Shapeshifter? :)
I was happy with RoadShow but wanted to try and get my ShapeShifter so share the PPP connection with "vlink" which uses the NAT feature --> http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/vlink

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get vlink to work yet and I think its because Open Transport (on Mac) requires 030. I'm not quite sure...

Anyway, I think it comes down to one decision. MiamiDX is abandon-ware while RoadShow is $25 EUR.

While I would encourage folks to purchase RoadShow if they can afford to support Olsen, now may not be the best time for some (due to pandemic) and would suggest MiamiDX as a excellent alternative.

And I would avoid AmiTCP...
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Yeah, I wanted to write that Miami “non-Dx” doesn’t require MUi :) And MiamiDx I consider “overkill”, the deluxe features are really not much useful on MiSTer :)
mbo77

Unread post by mbo77 »

Talking about PPP.

Was anyone able to activate 460k on the PPP connection with the internal serial.device of Miami?
I'm stuck at 230k which is not too bad and gives about 22 KBps.
gsargent

Unread post by gsargent »

does anyone know why I can't enter DNS settings in MiamiDX? When I try no matter what key I press it just inserts a blank line in the list above. I can connect and ping out onto my lan but I can't enter DNS settings so I get any name resolution for internet sites.

I followed this guide and everything worked but that last step to enter DNS
http://www.geocities.ws/allforamiga/
bbond007
Top Contributor

gsargent wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 pm does anyone know why I can't enter DNS settings in MiamiDX? When I try no matter what key I press it just inserts a blank line in the list above. I can connect and ping out onto my lan but I can't enter DNS settings so I get any name resolution for internet sites.
Under "Database" select "DNS Servers"

Very Important --> When done Entering DNS "IP address" make sure you press [ENTER]

Using left mouse button, Select "Settings" and then "Save"

Hope that helps...
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Edit : not relevant
RetroP

Unread post by RetroP »

QuillOmega0 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:00 am Been trying to get a PPP connection working

I can ping from the Amiga to the PPP connection of 192.168.1.254 (Amiga) and 192.168.1.128 (Mister) but anything past that wont' route and can't ping my Gateway of 192.168.1.1

Any suggestions?
Yes, I had the same problem with 192.168.1.254 router, there are conflict problems.
You have to go into your Linux folder and change the ppp_options.
At the very bottom you can change the automatically assigned IP address of the local and remote PPP link.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

mbo77 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 am Talking about PPP.

Was anyone able to activate 460k on the PPP connection with the internal serial.device of Miami?
I'm stuck at 230k which is not too bad and gives about 22 KBps.
Hmm, actually, I didn't manage to connect above 115200 bps. How did you manage to get higher ?
riker77

Unread post by riker77 »

I don't have access to my MiSTer right now, but here's the "hack" I did:

1) Get to MiSTer Linux console
2) Execute
ps -ef | grep pppd
3) Note down the command being executed - it should contain the 115200 baudrate
4) Move pppd binary aside, as we need to replace it with a script in order to modify the arugments being passed
mv /sbin/pppd /sbin/pppd.bin
5) Open the new script
nano -w /sbin/pppd
!#/bin/sh
/sbin/pppd.bin 230400 /tmp/pppd.conf #<-- not sure here, if the arguements match, as I can't check right now
Ctrl+o Enter to save / Ctrl+x to exit nano
6) Reboot you MiSTer or restart pppd vie menu
7) Adjust baudrate on the amiga side (TCP/IP stack config)
bbond007
Top Contributor

riker77 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 pm I don't have access to my MiSTer right now, but here's the "hack" I did:

1) Get to MiSTer Linux console
2) Execute
ps -ef | grep pppd
3) Note down the command being executed - it should contain the 115200 baudrate
4) Move pppd binary aside, as we need to replace it with a script in order to modify the arugments being passed
mv /sbin/pppd /sbin/pppd.bin
5) Open the new script
nano -w /sbin/pppd
!#/bin/sh
/sbin/pppd.bin 230400 /tmp/pppd.conf #<-- not sure here, if the arguements match, as I can't check right now
Ctrl+o Enter to save / Ctrl+x to exit nano
6) Reboot you MiSTer or restart pppd vie menu
7) Adjust baudrate on the amiga side (TCP/IP stack config)
I am concerned that method would leave "pppd.bin" running when its not supposed to due to the name change. That would conflict with other OSD UART modes.

Its probably a better method (but also "hack") to edit "/sbin/uartmode" and change (line 43):

Code: Select all

taskset 1 pppd $conn_speed file /tmp/ppp_options
to:

Code: Select all

[ -f /tmp/CORENAME ] && core_name=$(cat /tmp/CORENAME)
if [ "$core_name" == "Minimig" ]; then
    conn_speed=230400
    echo $core_name $conn_speed
fi
taskset 1 pppd $conn_speed file /tmp/ppp_options
This method will only effect the Amiga core and not the others that do PPP (like AtariST and ao486)...

I'm interested in seeing how stable 230400 BPS is...
mbo77

Unread post by mbo77 »

Ah, looks like a good way of implementing a "cleaner" hack. Thanks for the hint.

From the Amiga side, 230k runs fine even for "larger" downloads (15 mins).

I wonder where the limitation comes from that 460k fails. I suspect the Amiga serial device can't handle it properly.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

It makes a significant difference, thanks a lot !
bbond007
Top Contributor

mbo77 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:13 pm I wonder where the limitation comes from that 460k fails. I suspect the Amiga serial device can't handle it properly.
I'm kind of surprised it does 230400 :)

That is blazing fast in old-school serial/modem era. Atari ST core can only do 19200 by comparison...
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Why not edit pppd.conf instead of using a wrapper?
mbo77

Unread post by mbo77 »

Because it's hard coded and settings in the file are ignored.
bbond007
Top Contributor

kolla wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:45 pm Why not edit pppd.conf instead of using a wrapper?
Do you mean /media/fat/linux/ppp_options?

I did not change it in ppp_options because that is global and will also effect Atari ST and ao486 cores which max out at 19200 and 115200 BPS respectively.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

bbond007 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 pm
kolla wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:45 pm Why not edit pppd.conf instead of using a wrapper?
Do you mean /media/fat/linux/ppp_options?
Yes, that was the one I meant :)
I did not change it in ppp_options because that is global and will also effect Atari ST and ao486 cores which max out at 19200 and 115200 BPS respectively.
Fair enough, I only use the Mimimig core for PPP. I guess it would make sense to have one ppp_options file per core.
bbond007
Top Contributor

mbo77 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 pm Because it's hard coded and settings in the file are ignored.
The setting BPS in the "ppp_options" file does seem to take priority over setting it as a parameter, so it will still work (globally)...

"ps" will obviously still show the parameter.
kolla wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:39 am Fair enough, I only use the Mimimig core for PPP. I guess it would make sense to have one ppp_options file per core.
OK, I guess that would be better yet. I quite frequently use Trumpet Winsock on Windows 3.11 on ao486.

Replace "/sbin/uartmode"
Add "/media/fat/linux/ppp_options.Minimig"
uartmode.zip
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
punnyandfunny

Unread post by punnyandfunny »

Hello all. Really enjoying my time with MiSTer and using systems I've never used. I do have a question about the way the Amiga OS works, I installed MiamiDX I can connect online but for some reason I need to always show all files and the whole app suite has spanner/wrench icons and I can't see it without having to enable to see all files, which is a little annoying, is there a fix round this? Thanks.
bbond007
Top Contributor

punnyandfunny wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:10 pm Hello all. Really enjoying my time with MiSTer and using systems I've never used. I do have a question about the way the Amiga OS works, I installed MiamiDX I can connect online but for some reason I need to always show all files and the whole app suite has spanner/wrench icons and I can't see it without having to enable to see all files, which is a little annoying, is there a fix round this? Thanks.
Sounds like you did not install any icon ".info" files....

Did at some point did it give you the option to install Newicons, MUI, Standard, etc?