Sync issues over Component video output?

redsteakraw

Sync issues over Component video output?

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So I recently went to try some of the NES homebrew / demos and ran the fireworks demo. When the fireworks burst and there is a white flash my TV loses sync and the screen rolls. I am using the IO Board and have a dsub to component adapter hooked up to a late model consumer CRT tv with component input. I did notice this also on the NeoGeo core with king of fighters when the screen flashes white. Is this something anyone else noticed? I am trying to figure out if is my TV, adaptor, core or hardware problem. I am not using any CRT effects or scaling. Can anyone replicate this with the fireworks demo?
Fear is the mind killer!
retrorepair

Re: Sync issues over Component video output?

Unread post by retrorepair »

Sounds like your sync level is too high for your CRT. Does it do this with any other input?

A bright white screen will be the highest the voltage will get so that's why it's probably going out of range but otherwise ok.

Another console or DVD or something that does the same would help to narrow it down to the MiSTer output or not.
redsteakraw

retrorepair wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 pm Sounds like your sync level is too high for your CRT. Does it do this with any other input?

A bright white screen will be the highest the voltage will get so that's why it's probably going out of range but otherwise ok.

Another console or DVD or something that does the same would help to narrow it down to the MiSTer output or not.
So far I haven't found a good alternate test case.
Fear is the mind killer!
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Are you using the recommended 470Ω resistor in series for pin 20 in the SCART connector?

-- edit: ouch, I understood you were using a consumer TV set via SCART.
redsteakraw

pacoarcade wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 pm Are you using the recommended 470Ω resistor in series for pin 20 in the SCART connector?

-- edit: ouch, I understood you were using a consumer TV set via SCART.

I am using a consumer component TV so no SCART this is YPbPr and not RGB. My adapter that has proper colors has 75-ohm resistance I also have another cable with nothing and it has washed out colors. Both are insulated and well made.
Fear is the mind killer!
matijaerceg

Unread post by matijaerceg »

I'm seeing a similar issue with my MiSTer with analog IO board on two consumer tvs and one PVM. Anyone found a solution? It only happens on bright or white screens. With 240p suite, it happens on full white and full green screens.

Happens on both Component (VGA > Component cable) and MikeS's cores native composite, though the effect looks diffrerent between the two. On component I get jumpy image, on composite I get the top 20 or so lines out of sync.

This person's issue/video example is the same issue I think: https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... nc_issues/