Acorn Archimedes Core

JudgeDrokk

Re: Acorn Archimedes Core

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Zarchos wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:49 am
JudgeDrokk wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:59 pm
SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

CROS takes quite a while to start up, so be patient.
There are two requesters "Please insert 'CROS4'", one when the RiscOS boot picture shows and again when switching to desktop.
I've always waited until they disappered, unfortunatelly I don't remember much from tweaking around the OS anymore...
Maybe someone can help me with getting rid of those errors.
Keep in mind CROS is heavy loaded with modules and eye candy - it really slows down the machine.

CROS4.2 HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6qcf09p5kgv9 ... _082620.7z

The second HDF is my personal collection of Demos, Diskmags and small tools. I used to be in the demo scene back in the days.
I'd like to build this collection up, so if you own any other demos, disgmags and such like please get in touch.
The demos for ARM2/ARM3 machines found in my collection are from the website icebird.org, the group I was in.
The is also the full ClassicRiscOS4.2 SparkFS archive on there if you want to build your own image.

Icebird HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/moktqfe4c4khjnw/ICEBIRD.7z
I've running an HDF image by MouseBoyMania (shown on Owlonymous's YT channel and that runs ok - but I cant get this ICEBIRD HDF image to run...

It does OPEN but the files wont execute?

I'm new to ARCHIE so havent a clue why? Can anyone help?

With the Image by MouseBoyMania the files have proper icons rather than blank squares.
I'd say these files are zipped.
Run SparkFS, and give one of these files the filetype 'Archive' ( position the mouse cursor on the file, middle mouse button, File -> Set Type -> Archive ) then double click on it to unzip it.
If it works do it for the other files too.
Maybe all these files already have the right filetype, but the Filer hasn't yet seen SparkFS, meaning RISC OS doesn't yet know what to do with this kind of files with this 'Archive' filetype.

Note that you could also use this zipper / unzipper, as it's the one I use to unzip files I download from the Net, and also to create archives, and it works a treat :
http://www.zeridajh.org/software/packdir/index.htm

:D @Zarchos - Thanks for the TIP - it worked. I ran SparkFS and then the files showed as ZIPs - and ran fine. It was the first evening using using ARCHIE ever.
Thanks!
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Alright, just got everything configured (thanks Andy!) but my screen seems to be awfully misaligned on my monitor. To the lack of a better explanation, it's kind of stuck to the top right corner of the monitor.

Everything else seems to work fine, and I can play the games, but it messes with my OCD. :D

Anyone has any pointers on how to fix this?

I'm using a 4:3 19" LCD Monitor, connected by VGA.

Cheers,
anightin

Unread post by anightin »

MouseboyFPGA wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:11 pm
Zarchos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:53 am Hopefully you'll see what I mean for James Pond and Twinworlds. Both work fine via Arculator 0.99 & RiscOS3.1 (same hard disk image so literally 'the same' installation). Also, Pacmania runs way too fast via MiSTer - I posted about CPU timings there too.
For those interested in Arculator, there is a newer v2.00 version available here:
http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/
MouseboyFPGA

Unread post by MouseboyFPGA »

anightin wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:34 pm
Zarchos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:53 am Hopefully you'll see what I mean for James Pond and Twinworlds. Both work fine via Arculator 0.99 & RiscOS3.1 (same hard disk image so literally 'the same' installation). Also, Pacmania runs way too fast via MiSTer - I posted about CPU timings there too.
For those interested in Arculator, there is a newer v2.00 version available here:
Yep, whilst there's a newer version, I've found version 0.99 to be the easiest / most reliable emulator and version to use in conjunction with transferring disks over to and from MiSTer. It may be that I'm doing something wrong, but using Arculator 2.0 or Red Squirrel / or RPCEmu etc I found that mounting a HDF in MiSTer that was used in those emulators would suddenly/inexplicably report corruption. Fingers crossed no such issue with Arculator 0.99
anightin

MouseboyFPGA wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 pm
anightin wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Yep, whilst there's a newer version, I've found version 0.99 to be the easiest / most reliable emulator and version to use in conjunction with transferring disks over to and from MiSTer. It may be that I'm doing something wrong, but using Arculator 2.0 or Red Squirrel / or RPCEmu etc I found that mounting a HDF in MiSTer that was used in those emulators would suddenly/inexplicably report corruption. Fingers crossed no such issue with Arculator 0.99
Good to know. I've now just ordered a dual 44 pin CF to IDE adapter for my A3020 so will hopefully be able to mount 2 HDD images to do a comparison on real machine vs MiSTer.
MouseboyFPGA

[/quote]

Good to know. I've now just ordered a dual 44 pin CF to IDE adapter for my A3020 so will hopefully be able to mount 2 HDD images to do a comparison on real machine vs MiSTer.
[/quote]

Excellent stuff - I'm interested to hear how that goes! :D
By the way, you may be just fine using Arculator 2 or other emulators to switch between real/emulated Archimedes, but if you get stuck, Arculator 0.99 has been pretty stable for me (of course assuming you plan to do any HDF swpaping)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I'm also not sure about the image scaling. I use Direct Video to 15 khz CRT TV and get two rather big black bars on left and right. Top and bottom are OK. It also doesn't look too bad when I look at text. But I doubt this rather odd aspect ratio is how it actually should be, though I have no frame of reference.

Anotehr thing is, I tried to load some games from adfs - some work ok, but I also got this message on a few: "cfs has no temp directory". Any idea what it means?
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

akeley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:57 pm I'm also not sure about the image scaling. I use Direct Video to 15 khz CRT TV and get two rather big black bars on left and right. Top and bottom are OK. It also doesn't look too bad when I look at text. But I doubt this rather odd aspect ratio is how it actually should be, though I have no frame of reference.

Anotehr thing is, I tried to load some games from adfs - some work ok, but I also got this message on a few: "cfs has no temp directory". Any idea what it means?
Try to create a 'temp' directory at the root of the hard drive ; and / or where you game is.
anightin

Just to let you folks now I was curious about trying MiSTer HDD images on a real A3020.

The process is:
1) Create/acquire your MiSTer HDF
2) Load into Arculator
3) Transfer required files into local hosts folder, then to a FAT32 SD Card
4) Get a USB CF card reader and plug it into a Pi running RISCOS Direct or similar
5) HFORM the CF card
https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6786
6) Transfer SD card files to RISCOS Pi and copy the files to the newly formatted CF card
7) Install the CF card into A3020 and enable the IDE drive(s) under Config as needed
IMG_7909.jpeg
IMG_7909.jpeg (4.58 MiB) Viewed 14415 times
IMG_7910.jpeg
IMG_7910.jpeg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 14415 times
IMG_7911.jpeg
IMG_7911.jpeg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 14415 times
IMG_7912.jpeg
IMG_7912.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 14415 times

Up to 2 IDE drives can be supported by RISCOS 3.11 as shown above and I used one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Housing-Adap ... 3606280965
MouseboyFPGA

anightin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:18 pm Just to let you folks now I was curious about trying MiSTer HDD images on a real A3020.
Looks amazing - thanks for sharing :)
Xtro

Unread post by Xtro »

Since latest update Release 20201106 Archie core does not support 15khz output, if I revert to Release 20201101 15khz is back
data.fux

Unread post by data.fux »

I can confirm this. The 15khz output probably got killed by the latest commit that forces the vga scaler. No need for that IMHO. I will open an issue on github.
guibrush

Unread post by guibrush »

Hi, I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm trying to make the CROS42 image work on my machine. Unfortunally, the latest given link is broken. Did anyone still have this image?
Thanks
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

guibrush wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:01 pm Hi, I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm trying to make the CROS42 image work on my machine. Unfortunally, the latest given link is broken. Did anyone still have this image?
Thanks
Is it what you're looking : https://mega.nz/file/lKwg3brY#bnyXboNLs ... JLpOMl4PQ4

かすりん

guibrush

Yes !

Thanks a lot! But It's still the version with the "insert CROS4 disc" error, I was looking for the corrected version.
kathleen
Top Contributor

guibrush wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 am Yes !

Thanks a lot! But It's still the version with the "insert CROS4 disc" error, I was looking for the corrected version.
Verry sorry it seems that I uploaded the wrong one, my mistake, this one should be the right one:

https://mega.nz/folder/MT51lK4Y#c5jQWwRss19m8j1ofOK8Sg

かすりん

guibrush

oh, thank you very much ! This help me la lot :-)
guibrush

mmm.... I'm sorry, but I have the feeling that the .arc file is corrupted, I can't open it. Tried on my mac and on my pc. Or did you use a specific programm to unpack it?
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

guibrush wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:00 pm mmm.... I'm sorry, but I have the feeling that the .arc file is corrupted, I can't open it. Tried on my mac and on my pc. Or did you use a specific programm to unpack it?
That file is supposed to be unpacked on the Archimedes ;) Use SparkFS to open it.
SIDKidd

Unread post by SIDKidd »

@Zarchos
Thanks for all the links! I'm updating my demo archive now and will post the link on here soon.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

kathleen wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:56 pm
guibrush wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 am Yes !

Verry sorry it seems that I uploaded the wrong one, my mistake, this one should be the right one:

https://mega.nz/folder/MT51lK4Y#c5jQWwRss19m8j1ofOK8Sg
@kathleen,

Thanks for re-sharing this. Can you please let me know how to mount the CROS42.arc?

At the moment I have mounted hd4.hdf on HDD 0 and hd5.hdf on HDD 1.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:32 pm
@kathleen,

Thanks for re-sharing this. Can you please let me know how to mount the CROS42.arc?
@Alkadian,

I need to retrieve my notes to tell you how I did it. There is a while now and to be honest my memory makes me default (my brain becomes old :-))

I keep you posted asap.

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am
Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:32 pm
@kathleen,

@Alkadian,

I need to retrieve my notes to tell you how I did it. There is a while now and to be honest my memory makes me default (my brain becomes old :-))

I keep you posted asap.
@kathleen,

Many thanks for getting back to me. Sure, no rush and no worries I run in to similar brain issues :D
kathleen
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:54 am
Many thanks for getting back to me. Sure, no rush and no worries I run in to similar brain issues :D
@Alkadian,

I retreived my notes :-) please see them below (I thank Zarchos which did provide those information some time ago)

Here is how I did in order to get classic riscos working, for being sure, I restarted everything from scratch and it worked again

Archie core : Build 06-11-2020
RiscOS : V3 (3.11)
HDD 0: CROS42.HDF
HDD 1: * no disk * (just for my trial but a disk can be mounted)
the below CMOS.DAT that you've to place into your \fat\Archie
https://mega.nz/file/MOxAADiI#SsKzAIEnr ... XbcCYYk9_0

Start the core with the HDD 1 mounted with CROS42 (mount the HDF and reset the core)

Push [F12] : In this case the OSD will not appear of course and at the [*], type

modules (you should see somewhere at the end of the result : IDEFS

type then the following :

configure filesystem idefs
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure idefsdircache 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

Reset the core and it should now boot on your CROS.HDF.

Let me know if this helps you.

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:47 pm
Alkadian wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:54 am
HDD 0: CROS42.HDF
@kathleen,

Many thanks for your very clear instructions. Much appreciated!

Sorry, just a question. I have got only a CROS42.arc which I have downloaded from one of your previous posts and not a CROS42.HDF. Would you mind sharing that .hdf with me please?

Thanks a lot for your help!
kathleen
Top Contributor

@Alkadian

Of course but if you don't mind I'll provide you the link to get it by tomorrow morning (Belgium time).

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm @Alkadian

Of course but if you don't mind I'll provide you the link to get it by tomorrow morning (Belgium time).
That would be awesome! Many thanks again!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi Alkadian,

As promised, here is the link where you can have access to the HDF that I used. The CROS is zipped but this time, once unzipped, you'll get the .HDF :-)

https://mega.nz/folder/VGZADDwK#zdJu45EJSZyu54dgsIRtZQ

Let me know if anything else is needed from my side.

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:09 am
Alkadian wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi Alkadian,

As promised, here is the link where you can have access to the HDF that I used. The CROS is zipped but this time, once unzipped, you'll get the .HDF :-)

https://mega.nz/folder/VGZADDwK#zdJu45EJSZyu54dgsIRtZQ

Let me know if anything else is needed from my side.
Hi kathleen,

Thank you so much for sharing the file!

I would really appreciate your further help as I am sure I have been doing something wrong.

So far I have placed in the folder /media/fat/games/ARCHIE the following:

cmos.dat
CROS42.hdf
RiscOS.rom

When I lunch the core from the OSD I mount HDD 0 with CROS42.hdf

Then I have pressed Ctrl+Alt+AltGr (long press) to reset the core.

Then I have pressed F12 and the symbol * appeared at the bottom of the RISC OS 3 desktop.

Then I have typed the following commands:

configure filesystem idefs
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure idefsdircache 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

Then I have pressed Ctrl+Alt+AltGr (long press) to reset the core.

I could see a boot sequence on the screen for the Classic RiscOS Version 4.2 but then I have got only a black screen.

I went through these procedures 3-4 times no but to no avail. Hence, your help will be very much appreciated!
kathleen
Top Contributor

Hi Alkadian,

After having done the reset, have you checked that your HDF was still mounted ?
Between the HDF mount and the Reset Ctrl+Alt+AltGr action, try to save the configuration (so, before the reset) to be sure.
Unless you're sure that your HDF was still mounted.

When you entered the manually the configure commands, did you get any error ?

かすりん