Acorn Archimedes Core

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Re: Acorn Archimedes Core

Unread post by Alkadian »

kathleen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am Hi Alkadian,

After having done the reset, have you checked that your HDF was still mounted ?
Between the HDF mount and the Reset Ctrl+Alt+AltGr action, try to save the configuration (so, before the reset) to be sure.
Unless you're sure that your HDF was still mounted.

When you entered the manually the configure commands, did you get any error ?
Hi kathleen,

Thanks for helping me out.

Yes after resetting the core the HDF is still mounted and I have saved the settings just to make sure as you suggested.

No I haven't got any error messages after entering manually the commands.

Thanks!

PS. I have attached a few screenshots. Sorry for the very low quality!
Attachments
IMG-20210106-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20210106-WA0012.jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
IMG-20210106-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20210106-WA0009.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
IMG-20210106-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20210106-WA0008.jpg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
IMG-20210106-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20210106-WA0007.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 11434 times
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

Alkadian wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:10 pm
Hi Alkadian,

Yes after resetting the core the HDF is still mounted and I have saved the settings just to make sure as you suggested.

Thanks!
Hi Alkadian,

This is weird, I'm still at work, when I'll have finished (in around 2 hrs) I'll share with you the RISCOS version that I used just to be sure we're using all the same files. (Just have a look at my Mega link that I provided you this morning, I'll upload the file in 2 hrs)

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 pm
Hi Alkadian,

Thanks!
Hi Alkadian,

This is weird, I'm still at work, when I'll have finished (in around 2 hrs) I'll share with you the RISCOS version that I used just to be sure we're using all the same files. (Just have a look at my Mega link that I provided you this morning, I'll upload the file in 2 hrs)
Excellent, many thanks for that!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 pm
Hi Alkadian,

Thanks!
Hi Alkadian,

Hi katthleen,
Many thanks for uploading the additional files. I went through the procedures a couple of times. Basically after resetting I now get the following error message:
Error File 'IDEFS::CROS4.$.!BOOT.Utils.!TQROSP.Texts.78' not found (Error number &D6)

Many thanks for you patience :D

Edit: I have tried again and now I don't get that error message anymore but just a black screen after the risc os 4.2 presentation screen!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

:D I am doing some progress here!

I have replaced the command

configure idefsdircache 32k with

configure systemsize 32k

and bingo!! It booted this time! But I am stuck with a new error message when OS 4.2 starts which is 'Please insert disc CROS4'.

I am getting there though :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG-20210106-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20210106-WA0021.jpg (177.38 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@Alkadian,

I've just uploaded the file cros4.adf in my Mega, could you please mount it as 1st floppy disk and retry. This is what RISCOS is looking for. I'm surprise that you still have this message after having entered the commands that I listed.

かすりん

Alkadian
Top Contributor

kathleen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:32 pm @Alkadian,

I've just uploaded the file cros4.adf in my Mega, could you please mount it as 1st floppy disk and retry. This is what RISCOS is looking for. I'm surprise that you still have this message after having entered the commands that I listed.
Hi kathleen,

Thanks again for the new file! It actually worked like a charm! The only annoying bit is that after the system boots up the screen goes completely white! No idea, but I will keep trying. It is got to work :lol:
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@kathleen,

I am afraid it is time for me to give up! I have tried the procedure several times now but to no avail. I have also tried with another MiSTer FPGA setup which I have got inside my arcade cabinet, just in case it was something related to some screen/monitor compatibility issues and again no luck!

Every time I have got a white screen after the OS 4.2 desktop boots up. And I can confirm that I need to replace the command 'configure idefsdircache 32k' with 'configure systemsize 32k' in order to boot the system.

Never mind, at lest I have got a working Archimedes setup which I can play with! That's the beauty of having all these awesome cores available for us!

Thanks again for your kind help! :D
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

Can you try
configure MonitorType 4
and tell us if that changes something ?
( Remember to reboot with left CTRL + Break and keep pressing left CTRL until you see the RISC OS desktop banner ).
It tells RISC OS the attached monitor is Super VGA

I see when booting, the LCDGameModes module is loaded, it is intended for users of VGA or SVGA monitors ... meaning what's on your hard drive is intended to be run on a machine with a VGA or SVGA monitor ...
There may be some MiSTer monitor settings to change too ... so that both monitor types ( RISC OS and MiSTer ) settings are SVGA.

Note the best monitor setting is in reality Multiscan, with
configure MonitorType 1
and you don't need to load the LCDGameModes module anymore.

Some infos about this module, and what it was coded for :
https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/LCDGameModes/

EDIT : If I understand this correctly
viewtopic.php?p=12746#p12746
it means the Multiscan monitor setting should be retained for RISC OS running on the MiSTer
( configure MonitorType 1 )
and you should remove the loading of the LCDGameModes module.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Zarchos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:15 am Can you try
configure MonitorType 4
and tell us if that changes something ?
( Remember to reboot with left CTRL + Break and keep pressing left CTRL until you see the RISC OS desktop banner ).
It tells RISC OS the attached monitor is Super VGA

I see when booting, the LCDGameModes module is loaded, it is intended for users of VGA or SVGA monitors ... meaning what's on your hard drive is intended to be run on a machine with a VGA or SVGA monitor ...
There may be some MiSTer monitor settings to change too ... so that both monitor types ( RISC OS and MiSTer ) settings are SVGA.

Note the best monitor setting is in reality Multiscan, with
configure MonitorType 1
and you don't need to load the LCDGameModes module anymore.

Some infos about this module, and what it was coded for :
https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/LCDGameModes/

EDIT : If I understand this correctly
viewtopic.php?p=12746#p12746
it means the Multiscan monitor setting should be retained for RISC OS running on the MiSTer
( configure MonitorType 1 )
and you should remove the loading of the LCDGameModes module.
Hi Zarchos,

Many thanks for offering your help! Please find below my findings:

CASE 1:

configure monitor type 4
configure filesystem idefs
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure idefsdircache 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

straight after the message Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.!LCDGames
the screen goes black.

CASE 2:

configure monitor type 4
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure systemsize 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

it passes the line Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.!LCDGames and when the desktop appears I get graphical gliches (i.e. diagonal white and grey lines)

CASE 3:

configure monitor type 1
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure idefsdircache 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

straight after the message Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.!LCDGames
the screen goes black.

CASE 4:

configure monitor type 1
configure idefsdiscs 1
configure idefsdrive 4
configure systemsize 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot

it passes the line Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.!LCDGames and when the desktops appear I get the usual white screen.

Please advise!

Many thanks.
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

Delete !LCDGames application ( or rename it to a different name, if you want to use it back again )

I never had to alter systemsize on my Archies, btw ... What the system sets after resetting CMOS memory ( DELETE key pressed while switching on the Archie and kept pressed until the RISC OS banner appears ) always worked for me.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Sorry, how do I delete !LCDGames application? I went to the Apps but it is not there.
Thanks!
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

It should be somewhere inside the !Boot folder ( press SHIFT while double clicking on it ).
You should find an RO311 folder, and a 'module' folder, that's where it could be.
If not there, try in the !System folder.

I don't use the Universal Boot on my machines.
The way I see it, it is too memory hungry and adds too many useless extra features I just don't need on a pre RISC PC machine.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Zarchos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:48 am It should be somewhere inside the !Boot folder ( press SHIFT while double clicking on it ).
You should find an RO311 folder, and a 'module' folder, that's where it could be.
If not there, try in the !System folder.

I don't use the Universal Boot on my machines.
The way I see it, it is too memory hungry and adds too many useless extra features I just don't need on a pre RISC PC machine.
Thanks again. I didn't find anytihing in the !Boot folder. I also checked the folder R0310Hook and nothing there. Then I checked !Boot.Resources.!System.Modules nothing in there.

Can you please think of anything else?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Eureka! I did find the !LCDGames module!
I will rename it and try now the procedure. Fingers crossed!
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Oh no! It didn't work!
I have deleted the LCDGames completely and I have tried with both configure monitortype 4 and 1 and again I have got the white screen but only if I use configure systemsize 32k otherwise I get a black screen.
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

data.fux wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am I can confirm this. The 15khz output probably got killed by the latest commit that forces the vga scaler. No need for that IMHO. I will open an issue on github.
Any news on this? Would love to get my 15KHz back! :(
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

_paul_ wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:47 am
data.fux wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am I can confirm this. The 15khz output probably got killed by the latest commit that forces the vga scaler. No need for that IMHO. I will open an issue on github.
Any news on this? Would love to get my 15KHz back! :(
You can revert to the previous version of the core if you want 15KHz.

Create a file in your Scripts folder called good_cores.txt containing the following:-

Code: Select all

Archie_20201101.rbf
Then add the following to update.ini:-

Code: Select all

GOOD_CORES_URL="file://`pwd`/good_cores.txt"
Then run your update script. Right now the only difference between the current core (Archie_20201106.rbf) and this one is forcing of the VGA scaler.
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Thanks! That updater script did not work for me but manually replacing the rbf worked.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Sorry for the bump, but I had similar problems to the guys above me, in that, I couldn't get a picture on my Philips CRT, but that older version "Archie_20201101.rbf" now works. But, I have mouse movement but no mouse buttons. I am using a PC multi-button USB mouse, which works in most cores I have tried, but in the Archi core I have no buttons. Anyone else have this ?
tribloke

Unread post by tribloke »

Any chance of mt32 pi support on Archie?
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:30 am Sorry for the bump, but I had similar problems to the guys above me, in that, I couldn't get a picture on my Philips CRT, but that older version "Archie_20201101.rbf" now works. But, I have mouse movement but no mouse buttons. I am using a PC multi-button USB mouse, which works in most cores I have tried, but in the Archi core I have no buttons. Anyone else have this ?
No issues with the mouse. I’m using a standard Logitech 2 button usb mouse with scroll-wheel (which also functions as a third mouse button).
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Just updated the Mister and now for me the Archie core (20210224) does give a picture on 15KHz but it is compressed horizontally:

AFE9-EB8-A-DEA1-4-E1-F-A159-85398-C67-D72-F.jpg
AFE9-EB8-A-DEA1-4-E1-F-A159-85398-C67-D72-F.jpg (215.23 KiB) Viewed 10238 times

The Mister OSD menu shows fine.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

_paul_ wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:08 am No issues with the mouse. I’m using a standard Logitech 2 button usb mouse with scroll-wheel (which also functions as a third mouse button).
Thanks for the post, Paul. The mouse works on the first click, then I can't click anything. For example, I can open a disk drive, then one click on a folder and then nothing, no matter what I do. Weird. Perhaps it doesn't like my mouse. Weirder still, games that use a mouse do work, such as E-Type - I just need to start it from the keyboard.
Also, I get no issue with 15Khz on my Philips CRT, either with previous builds or the latest build.

EDIT:- Scrap that, the latest build loses sync with my CRT. So no 15hz mode working in the latest build.
iainjh

Unread post by iainjh »

Hi

I have a question along the lines of above posts. BTW Arch is one of my favourite mister cores. Remarkable job, whoever did this. thank you!

My mister boots its archimedes core into screenmode 28. Mister reports this as 640 x 480 resolution. Mister then reports zarch runs at 320 x 256, and displays perfectly, full screen, and on break returns to desktop ok

Anyway, I would prefer to set the desktop to 800 x 600 (which I think is screenmode 31, svga) and still be able to run games like zarch. However when I set screenmode 31, 800 x 600, zarch still starts in 320 x 256 but the game renders 'stretched' and offset to the right, and flickers

ive tried changing monitor type in !configure to multiscan, and also *configure monitortype 1 with no improvement.

I'm running this on a 1600 x 1200 lcd panel. 'm not setting any specific res for archimedes in mister.ini.

can anyone please suggest how they achieve a 800 x 600 desktop res and still run games like zarch?

could this just be my setup or my panel?

thanks for advice.
BlueIn2Red

Unread post by BlueIn2Red »

Does anybody know how to use an HDF image on a real Archimedes, without requiring the use of a Raspberry Pi? I optimistically tried writing the image directly to my SD card using Win32DiskImager (as I can do for my Amiga), but that doesn't work (the card isn't recognized on my A3000).
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

BlueIn2Red wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 pm Does anybody know how to use an HDF image on a real Archimedes, without requiring the use of a Raspberry Pi? I optimistically tried writing the image directly to my SD card using Win32DiskImager (as I can do for my Amiga), but that doesn't work (the card isn't recognized on my A3000).
Writing the image to a drive should work (I’ve done it quite often). Don’t have any experience with Win32DiskImager, I use the DD command in Linux.

The IDE implementation for SD cards varies. And the tolerance for these IDE variants varies per IDE interface. The default Acorn one on the A5000 is notoriously fussy.

What IDE interface are you using? Could you format and use the same SD card under RiscOS on your A3000?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

_paul_ wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:13 am Just updated the Mister and now for me the Archie core (20210224) does give a picture on 15KHz but it is compressed horizontally:
Same here, still. I can force "Full screen" and it does stretch, but looks ugly. Has anybody got this core displaying properly on a 15Khz CRT?
BlueIn2Red

Unread post by BlueIn2Red »

_paul_ wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:49 am
BlueIn2Red wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 pm Does anybody know how to use an HDF image on a real Archimedes, without requiring the use of a Raspberry Pi? I optimistically tried writing the image directly to my SD card using Win32DiskImager (as I can do for my Amiga), but that doesn't work (the card isn't recognized on my A3000).
Writing the image to a drive should work (I’ve done it quite often). Don’t have any experience with Win32DiskImager, I use the DD command in Linux.

The IDE implementation for SD cards varies. And the tolerance for these IDE variants varies per IDE interface. The default Acorn one on the A5000 is notoriously fussy.

What IDE interface are you using? Could you format and use the same SD card under RiscOS on your A3000?
Thanks for the reply, I actually got it working in the end, along similar lines to what you suggest. Any image I download and write to an SD card doesn't work (various "can't read" errors), but if I format the card myself on my A3000, then "read" it to an image in Windows, I can then use that image in an emulator (Arculator), and copy files to it from a downloaded image (or wherever). I can then write that back to the SDC and it works fine on my A3000. The only gotcha I found was that the Arculator "RiscOS Developments" IDE Podule is buggy, and won't copy lots of files without hanging. Using ZIDEFS instead works fine though (I'm using an HCCS IDE podule on my real Arc by the way).

I'm pretty pleased with this method - it's fairly long winded, but not too bad really (around a minute to read and write my 1GB SD card). Far easier than other ways I've tried (and failed with!) in the past.
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

Some HDF files (i.e. those created on older emulators and on Arculator up to version 0.99) have a 512 byte header attached to the front of them, which needs removing if you intend to use them on a real Archie.