Acorn Archimedes Core

danielb
Core Developer

Re: Acorn Archimedes Core

Unread post by danielb »

Hi again,

It appears that the solution to the error ""Not enough memory for system variable at line 4960" is *configure systemsize 32K", as well as all of the IDEFS configuration which is of course also necessary. I now have tontonkaloun's disk running in Arculator 2, using this configuration.

D.

Edited to correct misunderstanding on my part.
_paul_

Unread post by _paul_ »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 pm The image gives me an error on boot, the message disappears and everything works, but can anybody tell me what this error is about? I didn't found anything about it.
Can the error be related to the CD ROM drive you seem to have configured?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I thought of this too, it was already configured in the hdf file, I didn't found a way to disable the CD-ROM.
buttersoft

Unread post by buttersoft »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm Try tapping the "0" key on the Numpad while booting to set the Archimedes to the 15 KHz mode.
I can't seem to get this to work, i still get a 31kHz split image. I've tried holding the key, and tapping it, pressing it once...

Is there a chance someone could upload a 15kHz-confirmed Cmos.dat file for me? Because that would be awesome :)
buttersoft

Ahhh, i figured it out. Using an LCD monitor, you can go into the Archie core, load the desktop, go into confirguration>screen, and set the resolution to "normal" making sure to leave the interlaced box unticked. Then just turn on direct video in your mister.ini and it will load in 15kHz.

I have no idea if i had to do it this way as my USB hub in unpowered, but it worked.
gerryk

Unread post by gerryk »

tontonkaloun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:53 pm

The right one

Link has expired :(
Would you mind sharing again?

tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

gerryk wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:45 pm

The right one

I see if I kept it !!

tontonkaloun

Unread post by tontonkaloun »

tontonkaloun wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm
gerryk wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:45 pm

The right one

I see if I kept it !!

Sorry, I didn't keep it

But maybe others can share it

kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@gerryk,

Is it what you're looking for ?

かすりん

MouseboyFPGA

Unread post by MouseboyFPGA »

Hi All,

I've just built a 'Fully Loaded' (well, lots of apps and games) MiSTer Archimedes Hard Drive configuration and have found a few issues I wondered if anyone else can validate. First, some of the games seem to be running a little fast - take Pacmania for example, it runs faster than I recall (I don't have a physical Archimedes any more to check) and also faster than running under an emulator like Arculator 0.99.

I've edit my post as 'secondly' I was having problems with screen corruption, especially via ADFFS - but it turns out I'm an idiot and had a forced screen mode set instead of setting it to auto!

Anyway ...are all screen modes presently supported on the core?
Do we know how accurate the CPU timing is and also what model the Archie core is based upon?
I'm happy to share my config to anyone interested if you want to PM me :)
P.S. Using RiscOS 3.10
MouseboyFPGA

danielb wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:49 pm After a bit of head scratching (and swearing) I managed to get the core working with an HD image, and to install and configure Uniboot, so thanks very much for the great work.

I've been testing a few games, and most of them work fine. One exception is Twinworld, which has corrupted graphics. Also, any attempt to use ADFFS results in an unrecoverable garbled screen.

Thanks again!

Daniel
Hey Daniel - did you ever sort your graphics corruption issue? I sorted mine realising (user error) that I had a fixed display mode set in configuration rather than auto-select
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hi, yes I was going to ask you about that. Where do you set the display mode to auto?

D.
anightin

Unread post by anightin »

MouseboyFPGA wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:40 pm Hi All,

I've just built a 'Fully Loaded' (well, lots of apps and games) MiSTer Archimedes Hard Drive configuration and have found a few issues I wondered if anyone else can validate. First, some of the games seem to be running a little fast - take Pacmania for example, it runs faster than I recall (I don't have a physical Archimedes any more to check) and also faster than running under an emulator like Arculator 0.99.

I've edit my post as 'secondly' I was having problems with screen corruption, especially via ADFFS - but it turns out I'm an idiot and had a forced screen mode set instead of setting it to auto!

Anyway ...are all screen modes presently supported on the core?
Do we know how accurate the CPU timing is and also what model the Archie core is based upon?
I'm happy to share my config to anyone interested if you want to PM me :)
P.S. Using RiscOS 3.10
I'd be interested in giving this image a try on a real A3020. I have one with a 512MB CF fitted. I have just joined this forum so I don't think I can PM you ATM.

Regards

Andy
MouseboyFPGA

danielb wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:17 pm Hi, yes I was going to ask you about that. Where do you set the display mode to auto?

D.
You open Apps (taskbar icon) > !Configure > Screen > Set Monitor and Display modes both to automatic (2 tick boxes)

Hope that helps!
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hi, I never knew you could do that :) I never actually owned an Archimedes, most of what I know about RiscOs is from the Raspberry Pi version.

Anyway, that fixed most of the issues. ADFFS games work fine (at least the two that I tried did), and also a glitchy screen in Nevryon is fixed.

Twin Worlds still doesn't work. It does on the Raspberry Pi, BTW.

Tks,

Daniel
MouseboyFPGA

danielb wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:28 pm Hi, I never knew you could do that :) I never actually owned an Archimedes, most of what I know about RiscOs is from the Raspberry Pi version.

Anyway, that fixed most of the issues. ADFFS games work fine (at least the two that I tried did), and also a glitchy screen in Nevryon is fixed.

Tks,

Daniel
Haha, happy to help! I owned an A3010 and an uncle of mine had an A5000 (which got me interested about 25-30yrs ago!)
Yeah, TwinWorlds seems to have inverted colours and James Pond also has graphical glitching.
I'm trying to work out how I report these issues in the Archie core as via the Arculator emulator they work fine
MouseboyFPGA

anightin wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:54 pm
I'd be interested in giving this image a try on a real A3020. I have one with a 512MB CF fitted. I have just joined this forum so I don't think I can PM you ATM.

Regards

Andy
I tried to PM you myself but my message is stuck in the Outbox for some reason (same for my message to @kathleen
Maybe they're queued up and will go out shortly? ... been 30mins or so ... :cry:
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm [SNIP]

The second HDF is my personal collection of Demos, Diskmags and small tools. I used to be in the demo scene back in the days.
I'd like to build this collection up, so if you own any other demos, disgmags and such like please get in touch.
The demos for ARM2/ARM3 machines found in my collection are from the website icebird.org, the group I was in.
The is also the full ClassicRiscOS4.2 SparkFS archive on there if you want to build your own image.

Icebird HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/moktqfe4c4khjnw/ICEBIRD.7z
There are many Acorn demos on pouet.net https://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?plat ... orn&page=1
You can find a lot of apps, utilities, sillies and more on APDL : http://apdl.org.uk/apdlpd/library/library.htm

The QUBE server has a copy of the now disappeared RISC OS Stuttgart ftp :
http://qubeserver.com/Qube/qubeftp.php? ... /STUTTGART
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

@Zarchos,

Thank you for the links, very interesting. Anyway, nice to see you here.

One question, have you tried your 244 32x32 balls demo on the Mister ? I'm curious to see if it works.

かすりん

Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

@Kathleen

I am now installing a table to set up another Archimedes machine and a MiSTer, to resume development of this shooter game I have always wanted to code on the Archie.
It means I'll be able to test the MiSTer ( so far, shame on me, I have not used it yet ).
I'll keep on working on the SOTB playable demo, too, making sure it runs ok on the MiSTer.
It would be great that RasterMan be compatable with the MiSTer, but it means timings must be very accurate.
Could the core maintainers check that ?
http://www.pi-star.co.uk/

https://youtu.be/zEnOfD--Xa4
https://youtu.be/f1O75mzto0A
anightin

Unread post by anightin »

MouseboyFPGA wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:41 pm
anightin wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Regards

Andy
I tried to PM you myself but my message is stuck in the Outbox for some reason (same for my message to @kathleen
Maybe they're queued up and will go out shortly? ... been 30mins or so ... :cry:
Hi @MouseboyFPGA, I got your PM :)

If it works the same as other forums, the messages sit in your outbox until they are read.

Unfortunately I don't have a reply button either ATM but at least you can PM me in one direction at least. I think I have a couple more posts before I can PM.
buttersoft

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:42 pm Now it works. Many thanks for the help. :)
Hi, looking for some help setting up the hubersn_diskimage.hdf to autoboot. I'm running a riscos.rom of V3, but not sure which one. I've set this image as HDD0: in the core, and tried typing the below:

*configure FileSystem IDEFS
*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
*configure Boot

But when i type opt 4 2 it says "bad drive" and if i reset, it just loads to the desktop same as before.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Come to that, how do i see the HDD in the first place, even if i don't boot from it. There's only the two floppy icons on thetaskbar?
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

buttersoft wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:32 am
Chris23235 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:42 pm Now it works. Many thanks for the help. :)
Hi, looking for some help setting up the hubersn_diskimage.hdf to autoboot. I'm running a riscos.rom of V3, but not sure which one. I've set this image as HDD0: in the core, and tried typing the below:

*configure FileSystem IDEFS
*configure Drive 4
*opt 4 2
*configure Boot

But when i type opt 4 2 it says "bad drive" and if i reset, it just loads to the desktop same as before.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Come to that, how do i see the HDD in the first place, even if i don't boot from it. There's only the two floppy icons on thetaskbar?
Press F12 and enter
modules

What does it report ?
If it is at the end something like ZIDEFSFiler then you should type
configure filesystem zidefs
configure zidefsdiscs 1
configure zidefsdrive 4
configure zidefsdrives 1
configure zidefsdircache 32K
opt 4 2
configure boot
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

MouseboyFPGA wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:33 pm
danielb wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:28 pm Hi, I never knew you could do that :) I never actually owned an Archimedes, most of what I know about RiscOs is from the Raspberry Pi version.

Tks,

Daniel
Haha, happy to help! I owned an A3010 and an uncle of mine had an A5000 (which got me interested about 25-30yrs ago!)
Yeah, TwinWorlds seems to have inverted colours and James Pond also has graphical glitching.
I'm trying to work out how I report these issues in the Archie core as via the Arculator emulator they work fine
Could you describe the glitches please ?
It is possible that the core isn't accurate enough, thus palette changes don't happen at the right time.
gerryk

Unread post by gerryk »

kathleen wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:20 pm @gerryk,

Is it what you're looking for ?

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/185c451 ... 86196045c7
Perfect! Many thanks
MouseboyFPGA

Zarchos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:53 am
Could you describe the glitches please ?
It is possible that the core isn't accurate enough, thus palette changes don't happen at the right time.
Sure - I logged them as issues in the Archie GitHub and posted pictures as examples:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Archie_MiSTer/issues/9

Hopefully you'll see what I mean for James Pond and Twinworlds. Both work fine via Arculator 0.99 & RiscOS3.1 (same hard disk image so literally 'the same' installation). Also, Pacmania runs way too fast via MiSTer - I posted about CPU timings there too.
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

CROS takes quite a while to start up, so be patient.
There are two requesters "Please insert 'CROS4'", one when the RiscOS boot picture shows and again when switching to desktop.
I've always waited until they disappered, unfortunatelly I don't remember much from tweaking around the OS anymore...
Maybe someone can help me with getting rid of those errors.
Keep in mind CROS is heavy loaded with modules and eye candy - it really slows down the machine.

CROS4.2 HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6qcf09p5kgv9 ... _082620.7z

The second HDF is my personal collection of Demos, Diskmags and small tools. I used to be in the demo scene back in the days.
I'd like to build this collection up, so if you own any other demos, disgmags and such like please get in touch.
The demos for ARM2/ARM3 machines found in my collection are from the website icebird.org, the group I was in.
The is also the full ClassicRiscOS4.2 SparkFS archive on there if you want to build your own image.

I've running an HDF image by MouseBoyMania (shown on Owlonymous's YT channel and that runs ok - but I cant get this ICEBIRD HDF image to run...

It does OPEN but the files wont execute?

I'm new to ARCHIE so havent a clue why? Can anyone help?

With the Image by MouseBoyMania the files have proper icons rather than blank squares.
Attachments
IMG_20201001_210429_resized_20201001_092635956.jpg
IMG_20201001_210429_resized_20201001_092635956.jpg (125.88 KiB) Viewed 16516 times
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

JudgeDrokk wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:59 pm
SIDKidd wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm Ok, here is my Classic RiscOS V4.2 HDF. For now I have uploaded it to my dropbox, let me know if it works.

CROS takes quite a while to start up, so be patient.
There are two requesters "Please insert 'CROS4'", one when the RiscOS boot picture shows and again when switching to desktop.
I've always waited until they disappered, unfortunatelly I don't remember much from tweaking around the OS anymore...
Maybe someone can help me with getting rid of those errors.
Keep in mind CROS is heavy loaded with modules and eye candy - it really slows down the machine.

CROS4.2 HDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6qcf09p5kgv9 ... _082620.7z

I've running an HDF image by MouseBoyMania (shown on Owlonymous's YT channel and that runs ok - but I cant get this ICEBIRD HDF image to run...

It does OPEN but the files wont execute?

I'm new to ARCHIE so havent a clue why? Can anyone help?

With the Image by MouseBoyMania the files have proper icons rather than blank squares.
I'd say these files are zipped.
Run SparkFS, and give one of these files the filetype 'Archive' ( position the mouse cursor on the file, middle mouse button, File -> Set Type -> Archive ) then double click on it to unzip it.
If it works do it for the other files too.
Maybe all these files already have the right filetype, but the Filer hasn't yet seen SparkFS, meaning RISC OS doesn't yet know what to do with this kind of files with this 'Archive' filetype.

Note that you could also use this zipper / unzipper, as it's the one I use to unzip files I download from the Net, and also to create archives, and it works a treat :
http://www.zeridajh.org/software/packdir/index.htm
buttersoft

Zarchos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 am Press F12 and enter
modules

What does it report ?
configure zidefsdiscs 1
configure zidefsdrive 4
configure zidefsdrives 1
opt 4 2
configure boot
Hi Zarchos, it says IDEFS near the end - it's the same drive Chris was using, i think. I tried those commands with IDEFS instead of zidefs, and it appears to work until the the "zidefsdrives 1" command says bad drive...

EDIT: but it actually seems to work. I actually tried some of the original commands as well, so i'm not sure what did what. The drive now shows up when i boot. Sadly i thought it had more games on it, but maybe i'll work on installing some more :)
Zarchos

Unread post by Zarchos »

buttersoft wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:04 am
Zarchos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:42 am Press F12 and enter
modules

What does it report ?
configure zidefsdiscs 1
configure zidefsdrive 4
configure zidefsdrives 1
opt 4 2
configure boot
Hi Zarchos, it says IDEFS near the end - it's the same drive Chris was using, i think. I tried those commands with IDEFS instead of zidefs, and it appears to work until the the "zidefsdrives 1" command says bad module...

Sorry to be a pain, but do you know what i should do next?
Use all the commands as above but instead of 'zide' type 'ide' only.
I will install the Archie core on my MiSTer this week end, meaning, I hope, I can bring some better help afterwards.
Cheers,
Xavier.