Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
allyourbasekris

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by allyourbasekris »

Custom re-print of the Official MMS case with a different Amiga style rear panel. Printed in “Bone” PLA with generic Amazon brown PLA for the small parts. I was going for a Commodore vibe for it. This was the first big project for my new printer so I’m very happy with it.

IMG_0599.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

allyourbasekris wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:38 am

Custom re-print of the Official MMS case with a different Amiga style rear panel. Printed in “Bone” PLA with generic Amazon brown PLA for the small parts. I was going for a Commodore vibe for it. This was the first big project for my new printer so I’m very happy with it.

oOo that amiga style rear panel really works well, surprised RMC never thought of it.. great idea are you gunna stick a commodore badge on it?

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
allyourbasekris

bazza_12 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:45 pm

oOo that amiga style rear panel really works well, surprised RMC never thought of it.. great idea are you gunna stick a commodore badge on it?

Dunno yet. I might try some different designs.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

allyourbasekris wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:24 pm

Dunno yet. I might try some different designs.

do an ST one.. with the diagonal grill.. that would look cool

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

got that $4000 case

20230524_083032.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

That shit will burn to ashes :-)

MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

got to love the MiSTer GheTTo look

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

IMG_0599.jpeg

What brand is the "bone" PLA? That looks like a really good match for lots of different old computers/consoles that had a beige plastic.

allyourbasekris

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:01 pm

IMG_0599.jpeg

What brand is the "bone" PLA? That looks like a really good match for lots of different old computers/consoles that had a beige plastic.

It’s eSUN pla+

MiSTer Consoles

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

allyourbasekris wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:16 pm
MiSTer Consoles wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:01 pm

IMG_0599.jpeg

It’s eSUN pla+

Very cool. 8-) Thanks for the info! Your case looks awesome btw. Definitely a great color combo.

syntax_x

Unread post by syntax_x »

Felt good upgrading an old Macs screen with a newer Ipad one. Fit like it was meant to be.
And as a bonus MiSTer has the core to suit :)
2 USB ports added where the keyboard originally connected and the brightness wheel is now volume control.
Power is router via the original switch and IEC on the back.
Left what OG components I could incase someone needed ram or a flyback one day. It was a faulty unit found in the rain.
Super handy AIO

bODLPIH.jpg
lXnmleu.jpg
muthuxmut

Unread post by muthuxmut »

Bunker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am

Your images are not showing up for some reason, when you goto the url directly it says error with image? Maybe the host is being weird.

I see the pics OK. and also see them in your quoted post

Galaga Tragic :)
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

They show up fine for me!
My guess is that it's something with imgur since they have starting to ban a bunch of stuff and are not doing well with money.
Could be CDN problems where some CDN´s have the pic´s but others do not?

Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

muthuxmut wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:53 am
Bunker wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am

Your images are not showing up for some reason, when you goto the url directly it says error with image? Maybe the host is being weird.

I see the pics OK. and also see them in your quoted post

rehosted here

maybe its my vpn they dont like, thankyou.

paddle0

Unread post by paddle0 »

The cases on this thread are incredible. But I've always been a fan of the standard "exposed PCB stack" configuration. I wanted to preserve it, while addressing some of its mechanical problems:

1. misterfpga.co.uk's SNAC adapter works great, but it's about as secure as a string tied around your finger to remind you of something.
  2. I like the combined split power cable on/off switch, but I always have to hunt for it amongst the cable clutter!
  3. The MiSTer is so light it's constantly getting pulled this way and that around (or off!) my desktop.
  4. I also use Retrofreak's controller adapter (CY-RF-4C). This thing is obscure and old, but with a few extra brass standoffs, the danged thing fits in the MiSTer FPGA PCB stack like it was designed for it. Just one small problem: the SNES controller port doesn't work with MiSTer, and I keep forgetting it.

My solution was to mount everything to a piece of plywood and introduce a small wooden wall. This wall would provide strain relief for the SNAC adapter and something to mount the power switch to. It would also block the non-functional SNES port on the Retrofreak adapter.

rig.jpeg

Build

First, I cut a piece of playwood to size with a circular saw on a piece of insulation foam (Please be careful when operating this tool at home! Use it safely with eye protection, gloves, etc.)

I drilled four holes into the plywood piece and used a slightly larger bit to create some pocket holes around them on the bottom. Then, I inserted four M3 screws up thru the bottom of the plywood and into the brass set stays of my PCB stack. Finally, I stuck on some feet to prevent everything from sliding around.

feet.jpeg

Then, I went about constructing the wall. It consisted of two small blocks stuck together with wood glue. I drilled out two holes and attached the wall to the piece of plywood.

SNAC adapter Snug

I use SNAC often, and would prefer to leave it connected directly to my MiSTer. In my opinion, SNAC and SNAX provide the best authenticity/latency controller combination for most consoles.

But the SNAC Adapter mechanical security is terrible.

I cut two square wooden chopsticks and a thin piece of Birch craft wood. I glued them on to contour the top of the wall such that it would evenly support all the SNAC apparatus.

Finally, I bolted-on a 2cm quick-release buckle for a bike helmet with a Nylon cable clip and a metal brace, to cinch everything down. The fit isn't completely immobile but it's snug, and seems adequate to protect against casual damage.

SNAC snug.jpeg

Mounting the Power Switch

I pried open the power switch and was pleased to discover a little room to work with. I drilled two small holes in the shell back, just large enough to accomodate M2 screws. Then I used a mechanical pencil to mark the corresponding locations of those holes on the wall and drilled some shallow holes in the wood.

power switch innards.jpeg

Afterwards, I was able to attach the power switch with M2 screws. I further secured the cord with a Nylon cable clip. Of course there's still a small cable loop sticking out of the unit, but overall I find it to be a big improvement.

power switch.jpeg

Further Improvements

Misteraddon's stock fan is noisy. I decided to replace it with a Noctura fan, after reading about them here. The new fan is so quiet that I keep having to check to persuade myself it's really running!

Finally, I added a decal of that grumpy MiSTer cat. Voilà!

Conclusion

I'm really happy with how the rig turned out. My MiSTer feels like an unified console now, instead of a bunch of PCB's and USB bric-a-brac stuck together.

INT806

Unread post by INT806 »

I have finally finished my first prototype of a wooden housing for the MISTer on an Ironclad board (made by Definitive Mod).
The wood is Sapele Mahogany.
This was a project I had to make for my CNC woodworking certification at the Woodworkers Guild.
The big button on the left is of course Power.
The red LED is HDD/Drive access.
The green LED is the MISTer LED (nobody knows exactly what it does).
The next small hole is the IR receiver for the remote control which comes with the Ironclad board.
Then there are two USB ports.
The four buttons on the right are System Reset, Menu, User/Core Reset and Fan Speed (can be changed on the Ironclad board).
On the left side I made a small window with an acrylic glass cover so you can look inside.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Very nice build.
The Window need some kind of display behind ;)

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

paddle0 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:11 am

The cases on this thread are incredible. But I've always been a fan of the standard "exposed PCB stack" configuration. I wanted to preserve it, while addressing some of its mechanical problems:

No offense at all, I’m glad you found a workable solution and all, but your post makes me wanna hug my MMS! :)

paddle0

Unread post by paddle0 »

Missus wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:15 am

your post makes me wanna hug my MMS! :)

Be careful not to cut yourself on the rough 3-D print surface while hugging! ;)

Snaggletooth

Unread post by Snaggletooth »

IMG_20231223_150230.jpg
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

FEISAR :mrgreen:
Love it!

//Edit
Happy New Year :mrgreen:

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Not a particularly interesting MiSTer build (it's an Ultimate Pro) all the way to the right, but my some of my gaming setups.

https://misterreplay.com/about.html

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

n0xlf

Unread post by n0xlf »

There's actually a MiSTer hiding back there :)

PXL_20240106_212424962.jpg
parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

Snaggletooth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:23 pm

IMG_20231223_150230.jpg

Was this FDM printed? Photo resolution makes it hard to see the surface quality

parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

n0xlf wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:39 pm

There's actually a MiSTer hiding back there :)

PXL_20240106_212424962.jpg

The printer on the left actually looks like a sick console case.

akator

Unread post by akator »

lagerfeldt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:53 pm

Not a particularly interesting MiSTer build (it's an Ultimate Pro) all the way to the right, but my some of my gaming setups.

I seriously love your computer and gaming room.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

lagerfeldt wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:53 pm

ok who stole my bedroom, give it back this instant..

lagerfeldt

:-) I tried to recreate my teenage room. To the left (not shown) are more computers, primarily C128/A500 and C64 breadbins. Don't have a hardware VIC-20 yet, my first computer.

I've got three boys who like to play retro games on occasion, they prefer the Amiga 1200 and MiSTer.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

bazza_12
Top Contributor

I had a loft bedroom very similar to that when i was a teenager.. and had that game-over poster too- along with many paula abdul posters..

lagerfeldt

EX9275UX0AA08l1.jpeg

Haha, yeah that's a poster you don't easily forget.

ELmbLX3XkAIn9om.jpeg

Another one (you can spot it above the 1541 disk station) is the lovely Defender of the Crown advertisement.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

I think the Psycho Pigs UXB and Vixen advertisement campaigns were the last of their kind, at least for a while. Some stores wouldn't stock the games.

MiSTer RePlay website