How can I use an arcade cabinet button to turn on MiSTer? (momentary to latching switch relay?)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
sofakng

How can I use an arcade cabinet button to turn on MiSTer? (momentary to latching switch relay?)

Unread post by sofakng »

I have a custom built arcade cabinet that uses a PC inside but I'm buying another MiSTer (my third!!) to place inside of it.

At the top of the cabinet I have a simple momentary arcade button that was connected to the PC motheboard on/off pins.

How can I do something similar to turn on the MiSTer?

I THINK I need something like this:

[Momentary Arcade Button] -> [Momentary -> Latching Switch] -> [Relay] -> MiSTer Power (Mean Well PSU) -> MiSTer

Does that sound right? Has anybody done this?

EDIT: As I'm thinking about this, I wonder if using a Tasmota Basic switch might make more sense since it's probably much easier and I think I can wire the arcade button to the GPIO pins to work as on/off button?
lupin3rd

Re: How can I use an arcade cabinet button to turn on MiSTer? (momentary to latching switch relay?)

Unread post by lupin3rd »

I'm probably saying what others may already be thinking -- but why would you just not purchase a switch that stays ON when pressed, and OFF when pressed again? It feels really overly-engineered to go after the approach you've outlined above, unless you're doing some really specific aesthetic thing, or requiring the button to be usable for more than one purpose.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: How can I use an arcade cabinet button to turn on MiSTer? (momentary to latching switch relay?)

Unread post by Newsdee »

Retro Man Cave did it in his build, check out the video from 3:25:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGXZgVLh02Y
JaguarLV
Core Developer

Unread post by JaguarLV »

I think this is the device that Retro Man Cave is using.

https://www.pololu.com/product/2808