Does the Guncon 1 Work with PS1/Other Cores?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
metalfacemark

Does the Guncon 1 Work with PS1/Other Cores?

Post by metalfacemark »

Ive ordered one of the guncon adaptors and a guncon 1 off ebay - when ive been searching about setting it up everything on youtube i can see all show stuff about guncon 2, is guncon 1 supported or am i better off finding a guncon 2?

AngelicLiver

Re: Does the Guncon 1 Work with PS1/Other Cores?

Post by AngelicLiver »

The original GunCon requires composite sync from the PlayStation/core to work, as such it will only work with CRT displays. It also uses the native PlayStation controller port so for the MiSTer core you also need a SNAC adapter.

GunCon 2 uses a USB connection but still requires a CRT TV.

GunCon 3 uses USB with IR emitters (works similarly to a Wiimote) but is display agnostic.

Hopefully that clears things up?

skooter

Unread post by skooter »

What adaptor did you buy?

GunCon 1 works with the PS1 core through SNAC.
It can work with other cores as a generic lightgun using Reflex Adapt. AFAIK, it is the only adapter that supports GunCon 1.
I have the full combo (GunCon1 + SNAX64 + Reflex Adapt) and I can confirm that it works.

GunCon 2 connects through USB and works as a generic lightgun "out-of-the-box". I don't have one, but people say its polling rate is low (I think it is USB 1.1 only), therefore it may be worse than a GunCon 1 through Reflex Adapt.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

skooter wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:40 pm

It can work with other cores as a generic lightgun using Reflex Adapt. AFAIK, it is the only adapter that supports GunCon 1.
I have the full combo (GunCon1 + SNAX64 + Reflex Adapt) and I can confirm that it works.

GunCon 2 connects through USB and works as a generic lightgun "out-of-the-box". I don't have one, but people say its polling rate is low (I think it is USB 1.1 only), therefore it may be worse than a GunCon 1 through Reflex Adapt.

Thanks! I haven't had much time to play with my GunCon lightguns yet, and I have a few questions. I have CRT's.

Here is what I have for lightguns:
GunCon 1 with SNAC adapter - tested this and it is working with the PSX core
GunCon 2 (still in the packaging, haven't pulled it out yet)
NES Zapper
Sega Phaser

Here are my questions:

• You stated "GunCon1 + SNAX64 + Reflex Adapt", but for using a GunCon1 as a USB device, the SNAX64 is not needed, just the Reflex Adapt is needed, correct?
  • With the MiSTer, can I use my GunCon1 via SNAC with other cores besides PSX, or would I need a Reflex Adapt? I think you are saying "no" to this above.
  • Can I use my NES Zapper with other cores? If so, how?
  • Can I use my GunCon2 with other MiSTer cores such as the NES? What are all the cores it works with? (SNES, SMS, Genesis, any arcade cores, any other consoles?)
  • Are you saying that because the polling rate is low, I will have to turn off fast polling in order to use it? Will this affect the accuracy of the gun, compared to the GunCon1? When you say it may be worse than a GunCon1 through Reflex Adapt, is it worse for accuracy, or worse because you have to turn off fast polling. (Sorry - A bunch of the same question asked different ways).
  • Are there two-player arcade or console games that I could use the GunCon 1+Reflex Adapt and GunCon 2 with? (MiSTer or GroovyMiSTer/Mame)
  • Is there any calibration and/or ini editing needed for delay calibration in order to use a light gun (GunCon 1 or 2) with other cores or GroovyMiSTer/Mame?

Thanks again!

skooter

Unread post by skooter »

thorr wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:27 pm

Here are my questions:

• You stated "GunCon1 + SNAX64 + Reflex Adapt", but for using a GunCon1 as a USB device, the SNAX64 is not needed, just the Reflex Adapt is needed, correct?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant I have all three, but I don't use them all together. I use SNAX64 for the PS1 core and Reflex Adapt to use GunCon as a generic lightgun for the other cores.

• With the MiSTer, can I use my GunCon1 via SNAC with other cores besides PSX, or would I need a Reflex Adapt? I think you are saying "no" to this above.

You can't. SNAC handles only whatever the real system would handle. Other systems do not support GunCon, so no. Reflex Adapt turns GunCon into a USB lightgun, then it can be used by any core that supports generic lightguns through the mister framework.

• Can I use my NES Zapper with other cores? If so, how?

Not that I'm aware. Only NES through SNAC.

• Can I use my GunCon2 with other MiSTer cores such as the NES? What are all the cores it works with? (SNES, SMS, Genesis, any arcade cores, any other consoles?)

Yes, you can. SNES, SMS, and Genesis, for sure. Probably any other console/arcade that supports lightguns. I haven't tried others.

• Are you saying that because the polling rate is low, I will have to turn off fast polling in order to use it? Will this affect the accuracy of the gun, compared to the GunCon1? When you say it may be worse than a GunCon1 through Reflex Adapt, is it worse for accuracy, or worse because you have to turn off fast polling. (Sorry - A bunch of the same question asked different ways).

No. You don't have to turn it off, but GunCon 2 won't take advantage of it AFAIK. I don't have a GunCon 2, just the GunCon 1 and a clone called Zero Force which emulates GunCon 1, GunCon 2, and Justifier. At least with my clone, I have to boost TV brightness to use it in the GunCon 2 mode with MiSTer, and it would still be less accurate than my SMS LightPhaser through SNAC, for example. A low pooling rate means it will have some delay, if you enable the crossbar on screen, you may notice it.

• Are there two-player arcade or console games that I could use the GunCon 1+Reflex Adapt and GunCon 2 with? (MiSTer or GroovyMiSTer/Mame)

I don't know. Technically possible, as it would be two different USB devices, but I'm not sure if the MiSTer framework supports two lightguns at the same time. SMS has two-player games, like Gangster Town. SNAC only supports one SMS Light Phaser. Two-player mode can probably be used with Light Phaser through SNAC and a USB lightgun, but I wouldn't bet on two USB lightguns through USB.

MiSTer lightgun support needs improvements, like presenting a white screen for calibration so we don't have to launch 240p test suite or something like that only to get a white screen.

• Is there any calibration and/or ini editing needed for delay calibration in order to use a light gun (GunCon 1 or 2) with other cores or GroovyMiSTer/Mame?

I don't know about that. On CRTs, I don't think there is any need to handle delays. I have used hacked NES Zapper games to handle delay in LCD TVs though. But this won't work for Light Phaser, GunCon, or any other lightgun that uses more advanced technology.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Thanks so much for answering all my questions! I am looking forward to comparing the GunCon 1 and 2 in the PSX core, and trying the GunCon 2 in the other cores. I may have to pull the trigger (ha ha) on the Reflex Adapt! :-)

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

Thanks for making me aware of Reflex Adapt, it had completely flown under my radar and it looks very awesome!

metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

skooter wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:40 pm

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister ... x-adapter/ i bought this one.

pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

i dont have a snac, since guncon 2 uses usb, the psx games are compatible with it?

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

pbsk8 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:33 am

i dont have a snac, since guncon 2 uses usb, the psx games are compatible with it?

Yep it works! You'll still need a way of breaking out the composite sync back to the GunCon 2.