Famicom and NeoGeo 15 pin comparison

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

Famicom and NeoGeo 15 pin comparison

Unread post by seastalker »

Don't worry, I know not to plug in controllers to systems just because they FIT... my default stance is 'worry' about unplugging/plugging controllers while a system's power is on so I just don't in general.

In a controller bundle, I obtained a decent Famicom joystick. I realize the system had hard wired controllers, later having a front port for external controllers. One can spend a fortune on adapters (I have over the years), so I was wondering if the famicom's 15 pin type controller is interchangable with standard neogeo or jamma arcade controls?

I thought to try the controller on MiSTer and am doubtful the awesome 'Decapod' (antonio villena) is compatible with the neo geo ports or he would advertise it as so. Conversely, avoid any Mayflash adapter that DOES claim to be compatible with FC! They are only compatible with more recent famiclone 3rd party unofficial controllers with a totally different pin count/plug type.

If NeoGeo and Famicom controllers are NOT compatible (likely), is there an adapter that handles multiple controller types in one including 15 pin Famicon? Raphnet is a good option, but I don't know if I'll like the controller enough to warrant it's own single-purpose adapter and prefer a multi-controller adapter if available.
MostroW

Re: Famicom and NeoGeo 15 pin comparison

Unread post by MostroW »

i believe the pinouts and workings for both types of controller are known, you could compare them.