HDTV Display Issue (Overscan?)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
davidmt

HDTV Display Issue (Overscan?)

Unread post by davidmt »

Hi everyone,
I've got my MISTer set up and everything is working well; however I have one issue and I'm not sure what setting I need to adjust.

Basically, the screen is too large.
Example - if I run the update script, the leftmost characters are off the screen.
For some of the arcade games, part of the screen is chopped off.

I've been searching around looking for a fix for this, but the trouble is I'm not exactly sure what this is called. I was thinking "overscan" but I don't think thats right.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
ExCyber

Re: HDTV Display Issue (Overscan?)

Unread post by ExCyber »

I would also call that "overscan" (assuming it's on all sides and not just the left side), but there are other terms for a non-overscan mode that might be what you're looking for, including:

- Pixel-by-pixel mode
- Dot-by-dot mode
- 1:1 mode
- PC mode

I'd suggest getting the manual for your TV and looking for information about connecting a PC (a table of supported video modes is a sign that you're in the right general area). Allegedly, some TVs that let you name the inputs will disable overscan if the input is named "PC". You might also see if there's an "owners thread" for the product family at a site like AVSForum; such threads are often a good place to find discussion of obscure settings and workarounds for annoying behavior.
davidmt

Re: HDTV Display Issue (Overscan?)

Unread post by davidmt »

Thank you!
I was thinking this was a setting in the .ini file, but I found a "fit to screen" setting on the TV and it did the truck.